Banting wasn’t a hard choice for me. I’m not really into carbs at the best of times and I’ve always kind of believed that sugar is from the devil. But, actually putting it into motion presented some challenges. At first, I was hectic. A treat? What? I certainly will not be sampling your Satan Sorbet, thank you very much. It was mainly because I was sick, and cancer feeds on sugar, so I had something to motivate the staunchness. But, then I got better and I had some room to move. I’m still Banting, but I’ve chilled a bit. So…this brings me to my sweet potato soup recipe.
On Banting, you have a daily carb / sugar allowance that includes a very small amount of sweet potato (like, about half of one). So, this recipe isn’t strictly Banting (how much soup would contain a half a potato, for goodness’ sake?) But, it’s sort of Banting. Quite a lot Banting, really. Bantingish. Because, if you just have a small bowl, it’s probably around the right carb / sugar level. Just don’t do it if you’re insulin resistant.
What’s fantastic is that it is, hands down, my daughter’s favourite meal. She prefers it to just about anything else that I make. Maybe that just means everything else is really not great.
So, here it is. The recipe for a HEALTHY soup that even kids will love:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1l stock (chicken, vegetable, or pork)
- 120ml pouring cream / coconut cream
- Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Fry the onions in butter until glassy and sweet.
- Add the stock and then the sweet potatoes.
- Cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the cream, garlic, ginger, salt and black pepper.
- Blitz with a hand blender until smooth.
- When served, swirl a little more cream, olive oil, and cayenne pepper on top.
- If you prefer more subtle garlic and ginger flavours, add these ingredients to the onions at the beginning so that they cook more.
- Add some crisp bacon bits on top for an added boom!
That is literally it.